RAT Support Forum 

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Message ListNew TopicSearchPrint View
Run Time Error '3050'
Posted by: Louise French ()
Date: 03 July, 2009 12:20PM

Hi Colm

Since our last message we have been running great. However, this morning on trying to access RAT we are getting the above Run Time Error '3050' Couldn't lock file. When clicking ok the screen disappears and RAT fails to open. Please Advise.

Louise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Run Time Error '3050'
Posted by: C Rafferty ()
Date: 05 July, 2009 12:12PM

Dear Louise,
This seems to be a problem linked to your network.
There are lots of EMIS practices that use their shared drive to access the INR.MDB file. I wonder if there is something unusual in your netwrok settings that caused the first error and is also linked to this second error.

I would suggest it might be better to run RAT on one PC only for a while.
RAT runs perfectly OK on one PC.
Unfortunately I cannot account for all the network issues that may arise.

Can I ask you to close down all the RAT PCs and try again this next am to see if the ?lock? issue resolves itself. (It may not).

The next step is to try and get RAT up and running on one PC.
To do this copy the INR.MDB file from the shared drive to any one of the RAT PCs.
Copy the INR.MDB file to the C:\Program files\Rat Version 3 folder of a RAT PC.
On that PC you now have to "Change network database" on the top menu to the local
C:\Program files\Rat Version 3 folder.

The "lock" issue may have blocked the INR.MDB file from being read.
Let me know how you get on.

Regards
Colm Rafferty

Posted by: Louise French ()
Date: 06 July, 2009 11:01AM

Hi Colm

I've taken your advice, installed RAT and have it up and running on a single PC at our doctor's bench. The instructions you gave me worked a treat. The shared folder was always backed up automatically with our backup at night, so i ran through the manual backup in the utilities option and it was very straightforward. My main problem now is that I'll just have to remember to backup regularly. Thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Louise

Date: 06 July, 2009 05:38PM

Dear Louise,
Thats good you have RAT up and running.
If you have RAT running for a period of time on one PC, you can again try networking it even on just the one PC initially. i.e. Use the "Doctors Bench" RAT PC but have the database on a subfolder on the shared folder.
Regards
Colm Rafferty

Posted by: Nick Reynolds ()
Date: 24 July, 2009 06:01PM

We too are now getting the " Run-time error '3050' ". The inr.mdb file sits on a shared drive (as it has done for several years). Today for the first time a new file has appeared in the same folder as the inr.mdb file, this file is named inr.ldb (a Microsoft Office Access Record-Locking Information file according to Windows explorer). This file cannot be deleted and seems to be blocking all access to the database file. I've copied the inr.mdb file to another network share - worked for 2 hours and then again got blocked by the appearance of inr.ldb again. Help - the network capabilities of RAT have been much appreciated but this error is blocking that functionality.
nick

Date: 27 July, 2009 08:42AM

Hi Nick,
I think I have uncovered the error.
I have googled it, and it is a common problem with microsoft databases.
Below is a link to a forum reporting this very problem.
[www.xtremevbtalk.com]
The clue is that you and other practices have been able to use software with no problems until recently. So obviously some parameters have changed.

The software is 'Visual Basic 6' and it is reading a Microsoft Access 7 database.
The inr.ldb is always created. This file is normal. But your admin has blocked the permissions to allow it to function properly in the folder.

Do you have EMIS?
The other practices are EMIS.

Can you speak to your clinical supplier about this.
I will contact the other practices if this is successful.

It should be just a matter of changing permissions on the shared folder to allow all users to read/write/execute to it.

Colm Rafferty

Date: 27 July, 2009 09:13AM

Dear Nick,
I have been doing more searching and all the support forums seem to suggest the same problem. The .ldb file is only being created in read-only format due to restrictions set by the admin.

HERE IS A REFERENCE:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What should I do if I encounter the error message "JET/DAO Error 3050: Couldn't lock file"?
When DAO opens a Microsoft Access database, it automatically generates a LDB file. This error indicates that the LDB file is read-only and cannot be updated. To overcome this error, you should make the LDB file writable by altering the properties of the file and then reselect the Microsoft Access database for migration.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And below are 2 more references to speak to your supplier about...

[www.access-programmers.co.uk]
[prdsoftware.com]

You can temporarily right click the ldb file and set it to read/write, but this will only temporarily fix the problem. Try it and see. The .ldb file usually deletes itself once you finish with the database, so when it tries to recreata again the same error will appear.

Colm

Go to: Message ListSearch
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Please note RAT should only be used by health professionals familiar with warfarin management
     Copyright 1996-2020 formulae software